WHY BE BAPTIZED?
Jesus Was Baptized - Matthew 3:13 then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14but John tried to deter him, saying, "I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?"
Believers In The Bible Were Baptized - Acts 2:36 "Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." 37when the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other Apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" 38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call." 40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day. (Acts 8:12-13; Acts 8:36-38; Acts 9:18; Acts 10:47-48; Acts 16:15; Acts 16:33; Acts 18:8; Acts 19:5; 1 Cor 1:14-16; 1 Cor 12:13
Scripture Teaches Us To Be Baptized - Mark 16:16 whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. (Matthew 28:19; Acts 2:38)
- your decision to follow Jesus to your friends/family, church and the world
- the symbolism of your life being washed of sin
- the symbolism of your old life ending, and a new life of following Christ beginning
- the symbolism of Christ's crucifixion and resurrection and your partnership with him in that act
- the symbolism of your future death and expected future physical resurrection with Christ
WHO SHOULD BE BAPTIZED:
- followers of Christ who have never been baptized
- new followers of Christ previously baptized without an understanding of their actions
- followers of Christ who have rededicated their lives to following Jesus after falling away
WHO SHOULD NOT BE BAPTIZED?
- individuals previously baptized
- individuals not following Jesus
- individuals engaged in sinful activity who refuse to repent
- individuals desiring to satisfy wishes of friends/family or because friends/family are being baptized
CAN CHILDREN BE BAPTIZED?
Any child who is old enough to articulate their understanding of Jesus dying for their sin that leads to a life of following Jesus is old enough to be baptized. Children under 18 should have the permission of parent/guardian.
PREPARING FOR YOUR DAY
- PRAY - this is a special day in your walk with Christ, therefore put some time in prayer to prepare your heart for what you are doing.
- INVITE - invite people to the service that you want to know that you've given your life to Christ. It's a great opportunity to get people to come to church and an easy way to share with them what god is doing in your life!
- SHARE - you are going to have an opportunity to share a few words about what God has done for you. In this testimony you will want to thank God for what he has done in your life and possibly thank a few people around you who have been instrumental in your walk with Christ. This should be no more brief than a few sentences, and no longer than a few minutes.
- ARRIVE - please be at the church 1/2 hour prior to the serve to meet for instruction.
- BRING - wear the clothing you plan to be baptized in (shorts are acceptable). Beware of light colored clothing (ladies especially) and clothing that becomes exceptionally clingy when wet. Additionally, bring a towel and change of clothes.