Scripture reveals that the Lord Jesus Christ is the eternal Son of God, who always existed with the Father and the Holy Spirit. He took upon Himself the form of man (incarnation) and became the God-Man. In the one person of Christ, there are two natures, human and the divine, each in its completeness and integrity. They are distinguishable but indivisible so the He is fully man and fully God. It is this sinless union of the divine and human natures which qualifies Him to be the only sacrificial mediator between God and man.
The Deity of Jesus:
1. Eternally Existing - John 1:1-3, 11-14 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."
2. Part of the Godhead
- Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God… (’ĕlôhı̂ym - el-o-heem' - plural - specifically used of the supreme God; )
- Deuteronomy 6:4 "Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one."
- John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."
3. Son of God - Luke 1:30-35 "But the angel said to her, 'Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end.' 'How will this be,' Mary asked the angel, 'since I am a virgin?' The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God."
4. God in the Flesh - Jesus was incarnate, meaning He was God who took upon Himself human flesh. Additional phraseology that describes Jesus being God is the essential union (hypostatic union), describing the union between God and flesh:
- Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." (God with us).
- Philippians 2:5-8 "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!"
5. Jesus Accepted Worship
- Matthew 28:17 "When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted."
- Luke 24:51-53 "While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven. Then they worshiped him and returned to Jerusalem with great joy. And they stayed continually at the temple, praising God."
- John 9:38 "Then the man said, 'Lord, I believe,' and he worshiped him."
- Revelation 5:11-12 "Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang: 'Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!'"
6. Claimed to Be God
- John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."
- John 10:38 But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”
- John 8:58 'I tell you the truth,' Jesus answered, 'before Abraham was born, I am!'
- Mark 14:61 "But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, 'Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed One?' 62 'I am,' said Jesus."
7. Claimed to Be the Only Way to God - John 14:6-7 "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.'"
8. Proclaimed By Angels To Be God - Luke 2:10-12 "But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'"
9. Proclaimed by Devils to Be God - Mark 1:24 "What do you want with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are—the Holy One of God!"
The Life and Humanity of Jesus:
1. Born - Matthew 2:1 "After Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea…"
2. Grew - Luke 2:52 "And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men."
3. Emotions - experienced joy, anger, frustration, rejection
4. Physical Challenges - needed food, sleep, lodging, worked a job
5. Tempted without Sin
- Matthew 4:1-3 "Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. The tempter came to him and said, 'If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread.'"
- Hebrews 2:18 "Because he himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted."
6. Died - Mark 15:37 "With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last."
7. Buried - Mark 15:46 "So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb."
8. Resurrected - Mark 16:6-7 "'Don’t be alarmed,' he said. 'You are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who was crucified. He has risen! He is not here. See the place where they laid him. But go, tell his disciples and Peter, "He is going ahead of you into Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.’"'"
9. Ascended - Luke 24:50-51 "When he had led them out to the vicinity of Bethany, he lifted up his hands and blessed them. While he was blessing them, he left them and was taken up into heaven."
1. Alive and at the Right Hand of The Father - Ephesians 1:20 "he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,"
2. Making Intercession for Us - Romans 8:34 "Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died—more than that, who was raised to life—is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us."
1. He Is Coming Again
- Acts 1:11 "'Men of Galilee,' they said, 'why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.'"
- Revelation 22:12 "Behold, I am coming soon! My reward is with me, and I will give to everyone according to what he has done."
2. His Coming Millennial Reign on Earth - Revelation 20:4 "I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus and because of the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his image and had not received his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years."
3. His Eternal Reign - Revelation 22:1-3 "Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, as clear as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb down the middle of the great street of the city. On each side of the river stood the tree of life, bearing twelve crops of fruit, yielding its fruit every month. And the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. No longer will there be any curse. The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him."
4. Acknowledged and Worshipped in Heaven
- Philippians 2:9-11 "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."
- Revelation 5:6-13 "Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. He had seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven spirits of God sent out into all the earth. He came and took the scroll from the right hand of him who sat on the throne. And when he had taken it, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb. Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints. And they sang a new song: 'You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation. You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God, and they will reign on the earth.' Then I looked and heard the voice of many angels, numbering thousands upon thousands, and ten thousand times ten thousand. They encircled the throne and the living creatures and the elders. In a loud voice they sang: 'Worthy is the Lamb, who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and strength and honor and glory and praise!' Then I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: 'To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!'"
5. Judge the World - Revelation 20:11-15 "Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. If anyone’s name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire."
6. Send Satan to His Eternal Doom - Revelation 20:10 "And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever."
7. Spends Eternity with Believers - John 14:2-3 "In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."
Old Testament Prophecies Fulfilled by Jesus - There are approximately 300 Old Testament prophecies about the coming of Christ. Consider the following 60+: