As a forgiven follower in the process of being transformed, it is critical that you navigate the ongoing reality of temptation, sin and the need for continued repentance. Sin destroys and continues to do so. It led Jesus to the cross. It required His suffering. And although He conquered it, we will continue to wrestle with it until we are resurrected with Christ.
Our Struggle with Sin: As a follower of Christ, we are not immune to temptation. It is a battle that will be ongoing for the rest of our lives.
- 1 Timothy 6:12
- Ephesians 6:11-13
- Romans 7:21-25
This constant battle requires us to understand the fight and how we should respond.
We Are All Tempted - 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. "
Jesus Was Tempted
- Matthew 4:1
- Hebrews 2:18
- Hebrew 4:15
We Are Tempted By Internal Desires - James 1:13 "When tempted, no one should say, 'God is tempting me.' For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death."
God Helps Us In Temptation - 1 Corinthians 10:13 "God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it. "
Giving In To Temptation Is Sin - James 1:13-15 "Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God,' for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one. But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death."
- We All Sin - Romans 3:23 "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,"
- Sin Always Produces Death - Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
- Sin Wants to Master Us - Genesis 4:7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it."
- Repentance Is Required of Us - Acts 3:18-20 "But what God foretold by the mouth of all the prophets, that his Christ would suffer, he thus fulfilled. Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out, 20 that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus,"
- Grief of Sin Leads to Repentance - 2 Corinthians 7:8-10 "For even if I made you grieve with my letter, I do not regret it—though I did regret it, for I see that that letter grieved you, though only for a while. As it is, I rejoice, not because you were grieved, but because you were grieved into repenting. For you felt a godly grief, so that you suffered no loss through us. For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death."
- God Is Faithful to Forgive - 1 John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."
- Once Forgiven, We Are to Strive to Sin No More
- John 8:10
- John 5:14