Series Scripture: Luke 3:4-6 As it is written in the book of the words of Isaiah the prophet, “The voice of one crying in the wilderness: ‘PREPARE THE WAY of the Lord, make his paths straight. Every valley shall be filled, and every mountain and hill shall be made low, and the crooked shall become straight, and the rough places shall become level ways, and all flesh shall see the salvation of God.’ ”
Primary Characters in Luke 3
• road that connectes them
• someone who clears the way - John the Baptist? YOU!
John 1:6-8 There was a man sent from God, whose name was (insert your name here). He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.
Luke 7:28 I tell you, among those born of women none is greater than (insert your name here).
Why Don’t You See Yourself In These Verses This Way?
• you see it as a promise for someome else
• you see it as someone elses job
• you see yourself neither as great nor the greatest, and certainly not a prophet.
• don’t feel like anything big enough has happened to convince someone
• you don’t feel qualified
• you’re afraid, of rejection, of failure, of...
• don’t think they will want it
Most Other Christians Don’t See It Either
• Only 55% of believers think it’s their duty to share their faith in Christ.
• Only 2% of believers share their faith in Christ on a regular basis.
• Only 2% of believers personally win someone else to Christ.
• Only 50% of believers have ever invited someone to church
It’s an American-churchwide problem. It’s an our-church problem. It’s an us problem.
Great excuses for us and you:
• some people sow and some people reap. I’m just a sower.
• God’s given us all different gifts. It must not be His will for me to win others.
• God’s just called me to focus on discipling others.
• It’s the NorthWest, people here aren’t interested in Jesus here.
But Scripture Is Prophetically Clear:
• John 4:35 ...Look, I tell you, lift up your eyes, and see that the fields are white for harvest.
• Matthew 4:19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.”
• Luke 5:10 And Jesus said to Simon, “Do not be afraid; from now on you will be catching men.”
What do you do when there is something that should be, but isn’t? What do we do when earth refuses to yield heaven’s best? “I saw the angel in the marble and I carved until I set him free” Michelangelo
• do you recongnize that you are not winning men?
• do you recognize that this is the will of God for you and them?
• do you recognize that we are called can align earth with Heaven?
• do you recognize that everything in this world wants to fight this?
• do you recognize that this is a battle we can and will win?
Matthew 13:45 “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant in search of fine pearls, 46 who, on finding one pearl of great value, went and sold all that he had and bought it.
Ezekiel 37:4 Then he said to me, “Prophesy over these bones, and say to them, O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. 5 Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter you, and you shall live.
• the harvest is white
• I am a fisher of men
• I will win my friends, family and coworkers
• the chair next to me will be filled with one of them
• my words are the key to eternal life
• I am called, I am anointed, I am John!
• I am the greatest prophet when I prepare the way
• the valleys will be filled in
• the mountains and hills will be made low
• the crooked shall become straight
• the rough places shall become level
• all flesh shall see the salvation of God